Wednesday, July 6, 2016

A Contemporary Novel


My first love in writing and reading is historical fiction, but I read quite a bit of contemporary too. I also have four contemporary manuscripts out of the original seventeen. It's good to take a break from all the research required in a historical now and then. I don't mind the research, but it is time consuming. I even look up every questionable word to make sure it fits into my time period. English through the Ages by William Brohaugh is always beside me when I'm writing something set in an earlier time period.


The next novel I'm publishing will be the first contemporary I've brought out. Transplanted to Red Clay, the fourth and last novel in my Appalachian Roots series, has been delayed in the editorial process with the publisher, and I'm going to self-publish With Summer's Song in the meantime. I'm guessing I can have it out in less than two months.


This one has a connection with my indie, When Winter Is Past, the historical set in colonial Pennsylvania. It's unusual to have a contemporary connected to a historical, but I like the unexpected sometimes. It's not a sequel, however, and I consider them both stand-alones, although there will be a mild spoiler in With Summer's Songs, if you read When Winter Is Past afterwards. I'll talk more about the plot and characters in With Summer's Songs at a later time. Right now, I'm having tons of fun with all this writing.
_______________________________________




No comments:

Post a Comment