Monday, June 20, 2016

West Virginia Becomes a State


West Virginia's Independence Hall
On June 20, 1863, West Virginia was admitted to the Union as the 35th state. The area had theoretically been part of Virginia since 1607. It became one of two states (the other was Nevada) to enter the Union during the Civil War and the only one to pull out of a Confederate state. Like many citizens in the Appalachian Mountains, the majority of West Virginians sided more with the Union than they did with the rebelling Confederacy.


On May 13, 1862, the legislature had approved forming a new state, and they sent an application to Washington to be admitted to the Union on December 31, 1862. Lincoln approved it on the condition that they add the gradual abolition of slavery into their constitution. The convention met again and did this, so on April 20, 1863, Lincoln issued the proclamation admitting the new state at the end of 60 days. This happened on June 20th.


In my new Civil War novel from the Appalachian Roots series, Uprooted by War, Aaron Carter, Luke's friend at Andersonville Prison comes from West Virginia. Here is when they first meet:
          
             The young man answered, “I’m Aaron Carter from West Virginia. I guess we’re both mountain boys.”
            “How long have you been here, Aaron?”
            “Just a week. I’ve been staying out in the open, so I’m glad to have some shelter. I don’t see how they keep packing guys in here. It’s inhuman.”
            “It is, but we can’t do anything right now but try to make the best of it.”
            “Are we going to make it?” Aaron’s voice shook.
            “I plan to. If we stick together, we’ll have a better chance. The man you helped carry out turned out to be a good friend. I’m devastated by his needless death. He helped make this dreadful place more bearable. I’ll sorely miss him, and I hated finding him like I did.” Luke shook his head in disbelief.
            “I could use a friend, and I agree it would make things better.”
            “You sound educated.”

            “I’d been going to the University of Virginia in Charlottesville until the war broke out. When Virginia went with the Confederacy, I went back to West Virginia and joined the Union. Of course, we weren’t a separate state at that point.”
(All my profits go to a scholarship fund for missionary children.)


______________________________________




No comments:

Post a Comment