Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Pulling Out the Quilts


The fall weather has been mild longer than usual this year where I live, but there's definitely been frost on the pumpkins for the last few mornings, and that means it's time to pull out the quilts. I still like to sleep under my quilts in the wintertime. Maybe that's part of the reason I like quilts and quilting so much.


Tacked with green threat that blends in
I know in the mountains, if the women didn't have time to put into fancy quilting required to make a quilt and they needed a quilt to use, they tacked it. They would run thicker thread or several strands though the quilt layers and tie it off, leaving a tassel. The tassels of thread actually added to the design of the quilt. If it didn't look quite as pretty as a stitched one, it still felt just as warm on a cold night.


I remember times from my early childhood, when we didn't have central heat, and the mountain temperatures would make the house feel icy cold before morning. Mama would pile so many quilts on the bed I had a hard time turning over. But, you know, I slept better under that heavy mound.

I don't need quite that many quilts now, but I still generally sleep better in the winter than I do in the summer. There's something cozy about snuggling down under a couple of quilts, and having your own warm cocoon. It feels like home.


_______________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment