Sunday, September 14, 2014

Garbage In, Garbage Out

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me (Psalm 51:10).


In my children's sermon last week, I had two white sponges, plus a bowl with clear water and one with very dirty water. It was easy to see if I wanted to keep my sponge clean, I needed to let it absorb the clean water, because when I put it in the dirty water, it became soiled. In fact, the longer I left it there, the dirtier it became. This is a good lesson for us adults to remember, too.

Keep thy tongue from evil and they lips from speaking guile. Depart from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it (Psalm 34: 13-14).


It's better for us to keep unclean things from our lives, at least as much as we can and still be the disciples we need to be. The more we read, watch, or play television, movies, electronic games, books, etc. with sexual content, extreme violence, or profanity, the more those things become acceptable to us. Little by little such choices wear away our values and standards without us realizing it. Look at American society today. Is it happening, or has it already happened?

Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand,... Finally, brethern,  whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure...think on these things. (Philippians 4:5 & 8).


Now don't fall into the trap of judging others on the issue. I feel strongly, if we each take care of our own household, that will give us enough to do. Neither should we become legalistic or obsessed with the issue. But we should be directed by the Holy Spirit and make the choice that is pleasing to Christ. Let's choose to keep our values in line with God's.

For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but into holiness (1 Thessalonians 3:11).

_________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment