Monday, March 13, 2023

 Simon's Shame

I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating. I love the Hers to Redeem series. All of my five books in the series have heroes, broken from something in their past that cause them to try to hide away. A special woman comes into their lives, and they gradually began to see things differently. Simon's Shame, the next book to be released, is no exception. It's ready, on preorder, and waiting for publication on March 21. The Audible edition is available now. 

I have a new narrator for the Audible edition. Brad Leaf, who often does my books requiring a general American accent, was tied up with other projects, and I discovered Adam Skousen. I knew he would be perfect as soon as I heard him. He gave me the strongest audition of anyone I can ever remember, and I can't wait for listeners to hear what he did with the book. 

In Simon’s Shame, Simon Carlson becomes a recluse because everyone thinks he’s mentally challenged, although he's more intelligent than most. When he started school, it soon became apparent that he just couldn’t learn to read or write. Today, we would call this a learning disability and get him help, but they didn’t know about such things in 1887. His father never got over the fact, and he turned the community against Simon. When a new schoolteacher comes to Flagstaff, she doesn’t act as if he’s a moron the way others do. Can she show him that he has worth? 

As a writer and avid reader. myself, I had an unusual challenge in writing Simon. Before I knew it, I would have someone write him a note or want him to discuss a book he had read, and then I would have to go back and edit that out. Reading and writing are such an integral way of life for me it's hard to imagine life without it. Simon never learns to read or write any better, but he does learn some important life lessons and comes to realize a promising future.

Link to Simon's Shame

___________________________________





No comments:

Post a Comment