Monday, June 27, 2022

 Writing Like Real Life

I often hear readers complaining that a book doesn't read like real life, especially the ones that have a happy ending after overcoming a multitude of problems. Of course, readers are diverse and read for different reasons, expecting different things. Personally, I don't care if a story reflects real life. I want a good novel that pulls me in, makes me care, presents me with some thought-provoking situations that teach an important truth, and gives me a happy ending. I'd rather it not be so realistic that it's gut-wrenching. Many read to escape real life, and romance readers expect a happy ending.

No one would like a book that truly reads like real life. Think of your mundane tasks and routine days. How much of what happens would draw readers in and make them want to keep reading. If you're like most people, not much.  I agree that a story needs to be believable; however, that's different than being like real life. Fiction sorts through what might have happened, keeping the important parts that move the story and discarding the rest. The best authors do this well. I hope I'm one of them.

____________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment