Monday, February 14, 2022

Falling in Love with a Novel

I'm both a rather prolific writer and an avid reader. I publish about six to eight books a year -- so many that my editor has a hard time keeping up with me. I also read around 350 books a year. Have you ever thought about what makes you love a book? I have.


Although plot-driven books can be a bit different, I read and write character-driven novels. In those, the sooner the reader falls in love with the main character(s), the more they will love the book. To do this, the reader must get to know the characters well, which means exposing the thought processes of the hero and heroine. Using a deep point of view often is helpful here.

Of course, there are other elements that are important to readers in varying degrees, depending on their preferences and opinions, but falling in love with the main characters is always important. It's what makes readers become invested in the characters, get transported into the story, and live the story along with the characters. And that's one of the things that makes a novel really good.

___________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment