Monday, June 28, 2021

 Adjusting Listening Speed

I rarely listen to an audible book at the regular speed. Narrators tend to speak slowly and distinctly while I want to get on with the story. Even though I'm a Southerner, and we're known for our slow speech, I usually set my listening speed at 1.25. On rare occasions, where the narrator is particularly slow, like with the audible I just listened to, I set it at 1.5 times. I never set it above this because it's too fast for me to understand it all well.

I'm amazed at the number of people I talk to who don't realize they can do this. It's built into the audible program, so you can on most devices. I use my Kindle Fire or laptop most often, and it's easy to set the speed on those. Tap on the 1x on the screen that allows you to start listening to the recording. The speed options will show, and you can choose the one you want.

Doing this has increased my listening enjoyment, and I don't get as impatient with the story or narrator. You can always give it a try, and if it's not for you, go back to the 1x. The key is to find what works best for you and enjoy the book.

_______________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment