Monday, April 5, 2021

Number of Pages vs Time to Read

I'm beginning to realize the number of pages isn't always the main factor in determining how much time it will take me to read a book. I do refuse to buy books over 450 pages unless they are collections because I've found them to be stuffed with too many extraneous sections that do nothing to move the story, and I find them too boring. Yet, I do examine them to see if this holds true, and so far, it has.

However, I can read a 350-page book that's a page-turner much faster than a 175-page book that moves slowly. So, it's not really the number of pages that determines how quickly I read but the quality of the writing. And this is true for how much I enjoy a book, too.

On the other end of the spectrum, I rarely enjoy short stories. At one time, I wouldn't buy a book less than 100 pages, but I've changed that. I found if they're well-written I enjoy even shorter novellas. I recently read one that said it was only 24 pages, but it was so well-developed that I thoroughly enjoyed it. (I still think it may actually be more pages because Amazon has also misnumbered some of mine in Kindle.) But it's not the number of pages that determine how long it will take me to read it or how much I enjoy it.

________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment