Monday, March 22, 2021

Don't Give Them Your Worst

I once read where a very well-known author said, "Keep pouring on the worst you can think of for your characters." I don't agree. The main characters should go through some problems, struggles, and yes, sometimes some of the worst. But too much of this frustrates the reader and turns them off. If the author does a good job of drawing the reader into the story, nothing but the worst can become agonizing, almost torture. It's certainly not entertaining, and that's why many readers open a book in the first place.

I think every novel should have some happy moments, even before the conclusion. That and humor can relieve the frustration, agony, or torture of heavy problems. I've read books where there were nothing but intense struggles, and I had to put the book down often. In no way was it a page-turner, and I remain wary of those authors. 

I'm reading a book by one of my favorite authors right now. The first half of the book was wonderful with believable situations that cause problems or separate the main characters. But then, the story takes an almost unbelievable turn for the worst to prolong the book, and one terrible thing after another happens to keep the couple apart. I am beyond frustrated, although I have no doubt things will work out in the end. I hate this type of maneuvering. This is the first book like this I've encountered of hers. If the next two books in the series follow the same format, I will not be buying any more of her books.

_____________________________



No comments:

Post a Comment