Monday, April 9, 2018

National Cherish an Antique Day


April 9th is National Cherish an Antique Day, and this is right up my alley. With my love of history, I also have a special interest in antiques and probably own way too many, both family heirlooms and ones I've collected over the years because I liked them. An antique becomes cherished because of a personal attachment for whatever reason.














Antiques come in a wide range of categories from store items, medicines, implements, textiles, furniture. jewelry, books, photographs, etc. The variety goes on and on. The photos here are a few I pulled from my collections, but there's so many I couldn't begin to show them all. Many came from my family and kept over many years. Handing items down to children and grandchildren is one of the joys of collecting, and I've done a lot of that already.


Sketch of Tom Dooley

Old family Bible




1940's Tam
What about you? Do you have some cherished antiques? Maybe today would be a good day to dust, polish, or help preserve them. Or handing them down to another family member would also help celebrate the day. Perhaps you could visit a history museum or antique store. If you don't have antiques, just stick around. The things you own now will be antiques before you know it. An item is usually considered an antique if it's over 50 years old. Hey, I guess that makes many of us antiques as well.


Old salve jar
Mercurochrome bottle
  




Luzianne coffee with chickory can
Old ear drops



_____________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment