Monday, March 5, 2018

Irish-American Month


With St. Patrick's Day coming on March 17th, it's no surprise that March is National Irish-American Month. The Irish have made up a large percentage of immigrants coming to America over our history. In ten years from 1820 to 1830, it's estimated that 4.5 million came, and by 1860, nearly one-third of all immigrants to the United States were Irish. 


I've always loved the Irish sense of humor and their ability to laugh at themselves. When I began traveling abroad, Ireland was one of the first places I visited, and I could definitely live there. I was amused when a lady asked me where I was from, maybe Australia. When I told her I was from the States, she replied, "Oh, but you have a much nicer accent than most Americans." She liked my Southern drawl. Perhaps she heard a bit of an Irish lilt there.


For our anniversary last year, my husband and I gave each other a DNA test to learn the countries our ancestors came from. I was 34.6 percent Irish, Scottish, and Welsh and 48.2 percent English. Jim was 21.6 percent Irish, Scottish, and Welsh and 73.7 percent English. It's no wonder I've included a lot of Irish or Irish-Americans in my novels. They're a part of me.
_______________________________











2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your article very much! My novel, Swept into Destiny is about this very same thing. Irish Immigrant Ben McConnell who performed the manual labor that slaves were too valuable to do. He later fought in the Irish Brigade during the Civil War! Thank you for sharing. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete

  2. Thank you, Catherine. Your book sounds intriguing. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete