Friday, February 20, 2015

Chowan University

Tucked into the quaint town of Murfreesboro, North Carolina, rests Chowan University, a little college with a long history. It began in 1848 as Chowan Baptist Female Institute, a four-year college for women, which can trace its roots even farther back to Hertford Academy. The McDowell Columns Building was built in 1851 and now houses the school's administrative offices, as well as an auditorium. 


The name changed to Chowan College in 1910, when the school began awarding baccalaureate degrees. It began admitting men in 1931 and became a university in 2006 but is still affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention.

During several years of my teaching career, I mentored North Carolina teaching scholars. In one of the summer programs, we came to Chowan University. When I sat out on the grass in the park encircled with college students or presented a session in Marks Hall, I would never have imagined one day I would be living in the area and taking classes there.

I was talking to a young student friend online last night and told him I missed going to Chowan this semester. After all, I had attended spring semester for the past two years, just because I love to learn. Afterwards, I realized just how true that was. I see Chowan University as one of my many blessings.
_________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment