Tuesday, August 19, 2014



How I Became a Writer

I grew up in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains (Wilkes County), and my parents and relatives came from the Appalachians. Part of that heritage was an oral tradition of storytelling. Mother was the storyteller in my family, although Dad had a few of his own, especially funny ones.

I began writing my stories in about the third grade, and poetry started about seventh grade. Personal writing stopped during college at Appalachian State University in Boone, NC (back to my roots). Marriage and a family followed, and I didn’t start writing again until I’d finished my Master’s Degree.

I was teaching at the time, and I didn’t have time for extensive projects, so I wrote magazine articles. My first one about the tradition of quilting in North Carolina sold to The State Magazine the first time I sent it out. I received plenty of rejections after that, but having one published kept me going, and I’ve published in over forty magazines.    
       
Ironically, when I retired from teaching, I quit writing for a while, because I spent a lot of time traveling. When my mother became sick and I took on the role of caregiver, I had time to sit down and write my first novel. Isn’t it amazing how God uses bad situations for good? I’ve completed eleven manuscripts so far, and have lots more in mind. I love the journey and marvel at God’s gifts and blessings.
                _______________________________________




No comments:

Post a Comment