Thursday, February 1, 2024

 Troubled Times

My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations" (James 1:2).

Most of us have adverse reactions to trouble, problems, and turmoil. They certainly aren't things we embrace or look forward to. But hard times do have benefits. It's through the difficulties that our faith grows and we move closer to God. We don't learn or grow as much when our paths are smooth and everything is going great. If we never had a problem, I imagine we'd be pretty shallow individuals.

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand (Isaiah 41:10).

Hudson Taylor reminds us of this when he wrote, "At the timberline where the storms strike with the most fury, the sturdiest trees are found." Those trees aren't easily broken or upended. The storms have made them strong. Our storms in life can make us strong as well if we turn to God and let him be our strength and guide our way. He promises to be with us through anything life can throw at us.

The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower (Psalm 18:2).

In a time when the world's values appear to be getting more and more away from biblical principles, and justice and fairness seem to be things of the past, we need to rely on God more than ever to see us through. We need to embrace Him, keep our focus on Him, and remind ourselves that He's faithful no matter our circumstances. When we find our joy in Him and not look for it in what is happening around us, the troubled times won't affect us as much, and we can grow and flourish in our faith, knowing what is truly important.

__________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment