Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Choosing a Narrator


Audiobooks are the up and coming format. No longer does a listener have to borrow audio disks from the limited collection most libraries have or purchase the expensive CDs themselves. Like so much else, it's gone digital. And as in ebooks, Amazon has a big slice of the market with their Amazon Audible. They make it easy for both writers and producers

After filling out the form to list the already published book for production, the writer will need to choose a narrator. I usually put in the filters of what I'm looking for and then listen to the samples of some of the narrators that apply on Audible. However, for the last couple of books, narrators have contacted me from the initial listing. This didn't happen often at first, but it has made it quicker and easier to find my producer. They will be responsible for all the technical end of things as they read and record the book. You will need to furnish the manuscript, upload the cover design, and review the chapters for errors.

My dilemma in choosing the narrator has more to do with the accent and gender. Is it better to have someone with the accent of the book's setting or one with a more general accent? Heretofore, I've gone with ones with the accent the main characters in my books would have. Most of those have been Southern, although two were set in Pennsylvania. However, I'm beginning to wonder if readers don't prefer less of an accent. I haven't been specific as to gender unless there is only one main character. What do you think? What type of voice is best?
______________________________

2 comments:

  1. Thanks and I'm intrigued by the possibilities. Most of my action/adventure is dialogue as the characters have to respond to sudden danger. the choice of voice for both the male and female parts is a tough call. Has anyone ever thought about using a drama group which could respond with sound effects as well as the many characters and voices? Might be pushing the envelope on this but very curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry, I thought I was going to use a couple who do this for an upcoming production, but when I listened to a longer sample of theirs I didn't like it. The back and forth change of voices seemed to distract from the story. It was not like a drama production with the taglines for speakers being read, and I didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete