Tuesday, October 18, 2016

An Interview with Clifton


Back in April I did an interview with Emma from the Appalachian Roots series. It became one of my more popular blogs. Today I thought I would follow up with her son, Clifton. He's the only character who appears in all four books in the series. In fact, he's the main character in part two of Cleared for Planting, and he's an important secondary character in all the following books. 




What was it like for you, growing up in the Appalachian Mountains in the 1800's?

Well, conditions were hard, but I had a wonderful childhood for the most part and certainly a wonderful family. Although I lost two brothers in accidents, I had a sister and my parents, and we were all very close.


You eventually fell in love with Hawk's niece. Tell me about her.

How can I explain how wonderful she was? Sarah was the most kind-hearted, giving person I ever knew, and very capable, but she was shy. We started off great, and then a woman I'd met earlier tried to cause trouble. Even when we finally worked things out and moved to start my medical practice, some people treated her badly because she was half-Cherokee. Yet, I never for a second regretted marrying her or she me. She was the most beautiful person I've ever known, both inside and out. 


You've always said you married your second wife while you were still grieving for Sarah. Do you see that as a mistake?


I wouldn't call it a mistake, because Frances gave me two wonderful children. After the Civil War, Maggie and I became especially close. However, I married Frances because I thought Luke needed a mother, and I was so lonely without Sarah. Then, I had to take the boy to live with his grandparents in the mountains, because Frances was so cruel to him. But I ended up having a good, fulfilling life in the end. I wish I'd had Sarah longer, but it wasn't to be. However, I lived to see my great granddaughter. One thing our stories show is how important family is.

You mentioned the Civil War. That was a difficult time for everyone. What was the worst part of the war for you?



There were many. I'd say the worst thing was being away from my family. My patients needed me in Salisbury, but I wanted to be with Mama, Leah, and the family in the mountains. Luke had joined the Union army to keep from being conscripted by the Confederacy. When we didn't hear from him after Gettysburg, that was hard. Again, God watched over us, and brought us through the horrors. I never have understood how people can be so uncompromising and cruel to each other or not realize how much they need God. 

I know each of the stories of y
our family members in the different books had a theme, but, looking back, what do you see as the overall themes in the series?


It seems that you've saved the hardest questions for me. I've already alluded to one of them - the importance of family. Another is similar; it's the importance of love. We all need to feel loved. But the most important one of all is God's love. Even in the hardest of times, my family has always relied on God, and He's seen us through. For those who have gone on before me, I have the assurance of seeing them again in Heaven. My life has been rich, despite the hardships, because of God's blessings.


____________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment