Monday, September 14, 2015

Grape Harvest

I bought some grape vines to set out not long after my house was built, and, I must say, I've really enjoyed them. They normally produce from the last part of August through September, and some years I've had so many that I've worked hard to use them all. That's fine, because I make grape jelly, grape juice, and have plenty to eat. This year wasn't as plentiful as some years due to hot, dry weather, but I still had enough.



Grapes are easier to manage than some berries. They don't have the briers of blackberries and don't require climbing trees like cherries. The vines don't require a lot of attention either. I just fertilize mine in late February or early March and prune them in early winter. Even in the years I'm not there much, the grapes have never let me down.

To make grape jelly, I just follow the recipe with the type of pectin I'm using. I have an easy recipe for grape juice that I really like (see below). Even after my canning this year, I still have grapes left to eat. Um-m-m. I think I'll have a few now.

Easy Grape Juice

7 heaping cups clean grapes
5 1/4 cups sugar
boiling water, about 6 quarts

(You can adjust the amount of sugar to your taste and the tartness of your grapes.)

Put a heaping cup of grapes into each of 7 quart jars. Add 3/4 cup of sugar to each. Fill half way with boiling water and stir if needed to dissolve most of the sugar. Continue filling with water, leaving 1/4 inch at the top. Wipe the rim with a clean damp cloth and add lid and ring. Place into a hot water bath canner with the water just covering the jars. Process for 10 minutes in boiling water. Let cool. The jars will need to set about a week or more before using. I strain the grapes out when I open a jar and then refrigerate.
_________________________________________________________




No comments:

Post a Comment