Monday, September 30, 2024

Sawmills and Lumberjacks

My father's family owned a sawmill in the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina in the late 1800s and into the early part of the 20th century. Grandpa had three sons who helped him in the operation. During the Great Depression, he bought a 500-acre farm in Wilkes County and moved the family there. Years later, the eldest son, Raymond, bought the sawmill from his father, and my dad worked for his older brother for several years.

My dad knew timber since he'd grown up and worked in the industry. He could name and tell you about any tree he saw. As a child, I absorbed much of this information. I'm sorry to say, I've lost some of this knowledge from lack of use, but I still remember some too. When I read the guidelines for the multiple-author project, Mountain Men and Mail-Order Brides, I knew my mountain man would be a lumberjack, and I set the book in Washington Territory in 1878.

Noah's New Bride will publish on Thursday (10-3-24). In it Noah is concerned that no woman will want to live in a rugged lumber camp, so he asks his oldest sister back in St. Joseph to help find him a match. He's almost surprised when she does, but Meleah's situation brings problems neither of them suspected. The book will be released in Kindle, KU, and paperback. The Audible version is in production, almost finished, and should be out soon. Don't miss this wonderful story.

Noah's New Bride

_______________________

1 comment:

  1. Interesting story about your father and his family. When I was a toddler, my father owned a small sawmill in the bottom behind our house. We moved away when I was three, so I barely remember it. Noah's New Bride sounds intriguing. I wish you mega sales.

    ReplyDelete