Monday, October 26, 2020

What's with All the Billionaires?

I am rather appalled by the slew of Christian novels featuring Billionaires in the title. I've read some of them, however, and most of them aren't that bad. Yet, I don't understand all the emphasis on money and materialism. The stories would be just as good, and in my opinion, even better, if they left out the billionaire part. I think it emphasizes worldly values too much. A search on Amazon showed 6,400 books with "billionaire" in the title or subtitle.

Even if the book might include a main character that is a billionaire, why put that in the title? I'm guessing the author thinks it will draw readers, but it does the opposite for me. I always hesitate to order one of these books and don't usually do so unless they're offered for free. In all of them I've read, the wealth is an important part of the plot, and I wish it wasn't.

If I ever wrote such a book (and I seriously doubt this will ever happen), I would make the money a stumbling block to the relationship, not an asset. Should Christians seek to become billionaires? I think not. We have much more important things to seek after.

____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment