Wednesday, December 11, 2019


Smooth Writing


A recent review of one of my books on Amazon made me smile. It read: "Good book. Enjoyed it very much.... Hopkins has a smooth style of writing." I smiled because one of the things I try to do in my novels is deliver a smooth writing style. It helps the flow and enables the reader to enjoy the book more.


An author wants the reader to be emersed in the story and invested in what happens to the main character(s). This is the mark of a great read. Rough text, mistakes, and a number of other problems will pull the reader out of the story, and make them consider how the book is written rather than what is happening in the story.



I work to make the words on the page flow smoothly, so the reader can get lost in the story. I'm conscious of this anytime I write but especially in my first edit. I'm glad this reviewer recognized it, and I smiled because I felt I had achieved at least one of my goals in the writing process.
______________________________




No comments:

Post a Comment