Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Computer-Generated Readers


There are different ways to have a book read to you, other than by a live person. Most readers are familiar with audio-books, either on discs or from online sites, such as Amazon's Audible. Another source is computer-generated voices.  For example, if you have an Echo Dot (Alexa) or similar device, it will read a purchased book for you, as will some pads. Smartphones can do the same thing.


There are differences in these devices, however. When a computer-generated voice reads, there is no inflection in the voice. Happy or excited dialogue is read in the same way as a sad or tragic scene. The accent also stays the same, regardless of where the characters are from. And, as anyone who's had a GPS in their car knows, these voices often mispronounce words.


I listen to audio-books when I drive alone on longer trips or when I exercise, and I use Audibles. I enjoy the books much more with a good narrator who pulls me into the story. You can listen to these on any of the above devices with a free app. There is no comparison to a truly engaging book read well.



_______________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment