Wednesday, March 28, 2018

How to Get Published


One of the questions I'm often asked is how did I get published. It seems to me that getting published by a traditional publisher is getting harder all the time for a little-known writer. Most require submission through an agent, but getting an agent can be as difficult as getting someone at a publishing house to actually read your work. Both have high odds against you. Of course, first and far most, you need to write a quality manuscript.



Then, don't disregard the small publishing houses. I've found that the good ones often give an author more personal attention than the well-known ones and are easier to work with. In fact, some of my author friends have left their big-name publisher because they were losing more control all the time. There's a small, Christian publisher located about two hours from where I live whose authors have won numerous awards because the publisher submitted their books for consideration, and they have systems in place to get their authors plenty of reviews and publicity. 


When you have a manuscript ready for publication go to writers' conferences that offer interviews with publishers, acquisition editors, or agents. This is how I found my traditional publisher and first got published. In fact, I just went to another one a couple of weeks ago to pitch a book to a certain publishing house. Despite the fact that I've published eleven books, I still have twelve unpublished manuscripts. I can actually write them faster than we can publish them, and a third way of publishing is feasible for me. While at the conference, I didn't see or hear of anyone in the interviews that weren't told to submit a proposal or portion of their work for consideration. In my estimation, this is the best way to get published for the first time in today's market.
________________________________

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I never had the opportunity to attend a writer's conference until I was asked to give workshops in poetry and fiction. By then I'd placed several books with Christian publishers who were still open to over-the-desk submissions, but at the conference, I met an editor who'd come to speak and give workshops too. I didn't know to bring anything I wanted published! But she and I had fun having lunch together and laughing and just being ourselves. Some time later, she called me and asked if I'd ever thought about doing devotional books. I hadn't but said I'd pray about it, which I did, and immediately a 7-book series came to mind. She liked the idea and accepted my proposal to her proposal :) God does work in mysterious ways! And conferences can be a means for Him to open doors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, Mary. It's a great example.

    ReplyDelete