Wednesday, December 28, 2016

End-of-the-Year Writing Review


I recently read an article about assessing your writing over the past year. However, it only talked about evaluating the business side of things. Although, this is important, too, I tend to value the writing process more, and I certainly don't think that part should be ignored. I look at things like output, genre, series or standalone, traditional publisher or indie, how few mistakes are in them when published, ways I can improve, etc.


In evaluating my own writing this year, I'm pleased with my output. In a year and a half, I've released six books. I also have two in the works, and it would be possible that I have eight books published in two years. My two years for the print versions will be up toward the end of March, and I hope to maintain this volume in the coming year. 



I did an informal survey of which of my books my readers liked better. One hundred percent of those responding said my historical ones, although some said they read and enjoyed both the historical and the contemporary. As a historian, I don't mind that, but I wonder if it's because most inspirational readers tend to prefer historicals or if I attracted those readers more. I will certainly continue to write more historicals, but I do enjoy a break from the intensive research when I write a contemporary. I plan to keep an eye on this issue. Right now, I have only published one contemporary, but I'm getting ready to release a contemporary trilogy.


I've also wrestled with whether to write more standalones or books in a series. Both have done well for me, but When Winter Is Past, my indie, standalone historical has sold the best overall. It sold well over a hundred kindle copies in December, and that's not counting the print editions or ebooks from other vendors. However, my Appalachian Roots series will always hold a special place in my heart. I also wrestle with whether to publish a book myself or go the traditional route. I've done both and can see advantages and disadvantages to each one. With Summer's Songs is another of my indies. I know many well-known authors who have gone indie. and I guess authors need to assess this for themselves, since each situation is different.


Evaluating my writing and looking for ways to improve is an ongoing process for me. I still struggle with trying to get out an error-free book, and with some adjustments to the way my editors and I handle things, we're getting close. I've been accused of being a perfectionist, but I don't think that's true. It's important to me to give my readers the best book I possibly can, and I don't plan to change that. That may be one of the reasons all my books average five star reviews on amazon.
___________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment